Sunday, May 1, 2011

EMDR - Eye Movement Desensitization & Recovery

Now that we've nailed down a behavioral therapist the waiting for our first appointment is terrible. I am glad, however, that I was able to speak with a close friend who directed me toward cognitive behavior therapy so that I did not find myself thinking that my only choices where prescription happy psychologists. Despite my husband being a doctor, we are not a highly medicated family. We prefer to use medication only when truly necessary and my first days of search results had a bunch of recommended medications for OCD patients. I'm very thankful for the education my friend gave me.

The therapist we chose fit out needs to a T. First, she was of the same faith as our family. That was really important to us since I've heard of counselors and therapists not giving advice that was conducive with religious practices. Second, we discovered that this therapist uses a technique called EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization & Recovery). Once she told me, I began immediately reading up on it so that I knew exactly what she was going to be doing to help my daughter.

Some of the first comments I've read were that not everyone agrees with this technique. However, the government uses is with soldiers coming back from experiencing traumatic events.

This is how it works (from the EMDR website):

The EMDR therapy uses bilateral stimulation, right/left eye movement, or tactile stimulation, which repeatly activates the opposite sides of the brain, releasing emotional experiences that are "trapped" in the nervous system. This assists the neurophysiological system, the basis of the mind/body connection, to free itself of blockages and reconnect itself.
The therapist works gently with the client and asks him/her to revisit the traumatic moment or incident, recalling feelings surrounding the experience, as well as any negative thoughts, feelings and memories. The therapist then holds her fingers about eighteen inches from the clients face and begins to move them back and forth like a windshield wiper. The client tracks the movements as if watching ping pong. The more intensely the client focuses on the memory, the easier it becomes for the memory to come to life. As quick and vibrant images arise during the therapy session, they are processed by the eye movements, resulting in painful feelings being exchanged for more peaceful, loving and resolved feelings.

I'm very anxious for the first appointment. This therapist believes that it is most beneficial to do the first treatment the very first visit, instead of wasting the first visit with just an initial interview. So I'll speak with my daughter after her first visit on May 10th and hopefully have more information to report about her first treatment.

As for Bren's progress, there is none thus far. She is still battling through this with major setbacks from day to day. But I'm grateful for a beautiful and bright daughter that has a strong testimony of Jesus Christ and knows that she indeed has amazing self worth and a divine nature. I truly believe that it is our foundation in the Gospel and the Savior that has kept our heads above water so far and am thankful that we at least have that to keep us grounded in our faith. Even on our darkest days, there are little rays of light that keep us going.

2 comments:

  1. Please let me know how it goes. My daughter is having some setbacks recently and I would be interested in hearing how this goes. I think I will research this. God Bless you and your family through this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. Lasik Eye Surgery Michigan

    ReplyDelete